Week 11

     I think there is an important balance to money and knowing how it works but not letting it define you or matter too much. There are people that are destroyed by the need to have money. They overspend. They live in unnecessary debt. Money defines them and having things matters so much. I also see, however, the other side. People who don't have tons but they are also so thrift and are not generous. They hoard their money. They count the pennies and dimes to the point that it too defines them and money is everything. Money, even just saving it so much so you can say you have it is a definition that is unhealthy as well. 

    I read the article, "Attitude on Money" from my reading and it talked a lot about how we see things and how we think about money. 

I like the topic about money that was brought up. It is an important part that even the church doesn't ignore. We are asked to pay with money a tithing. We are asked to support missionaries with moneys, and we use money to buy temples. Money is part of our life that we can't ignore. 

    I think because of my experiences, money has been able to stay balanced at times however it often causes me a lot of anxiety and can become unbalanced too. There have been times when I should have spent the money and didn't. There are other times when I should have waited and probably didn't need to spend the money. It is so hard to find peace with money because it's a necessary evil to run a budget, and make sure you are aware of what you are spending and feeling empowered but not feeling obsessed with it. It's good to seek money if you do it in the right order and for the right reasons. The article talked a lot about that. It's a really easy line to cross from healthy to unhealthy. 

    I also think money has a real connection with control, either because you feel a lack of control in other areas of your life or because you feel too controlled, or because you want more control in your life. It's just an interesting observation as I was listening to the many videos. Power and control are tightly linked to money and so it becomes a coping skill, or a thrill, or a high when you just don't want to deal with reality. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 7

Week 1

Week 12